Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Friends in LeMars and assorted Misc

Naturally I had a few fights before the pecking order was decided. Little did anyone know that beating me up didn't change my perception of the pecking order at all. I just didn't care. I was going to do what I wanted to do and if the other kids didn't like it that was just to bad.

Whipping me in a fight and controlling me or making me afraid of you are two different things. I wasn't afraid of much then and I'm afraid of even less now.

Anyway, I ended up pretty good friends with three or four different people. To sets of parents thought I was an upgrade over their usual friends, one set was neutral and the other set thought I was the worst thing that ever happened to their son.

Lol, as I said before, I was the kid your mothers warned you about. There would be other occasional hangers-on but they came and went while the core group always remained the same. I made more friends and even hung out with a few of them but the later ones didn't fit into the first core group.

We might hang out if we were in the same places but we weren't going anywhere together unless it was a spur of the moment thing. A lot of the time I hung out with the older guys because the kids my age seemed to silly and immature about a lot of things.

So I had friends but no one I was really close to. Heh, that hasn't changed much in the 46 plus years since then. Mostly I've been a loner all of my life and have been quite happy with that. Still am, for the most part.

I learned to take care of myself at an early age, I learned to rely on myself at an early age and I sure as hell learned to be independent at an early age. Being independent and self reliant what did I need friends for? Company? Not really as most people irritate me, did then and do now.

Just as then, I'm still seen as quiet, aloof and arrogant. To me it's simple, being totally self reliant means freedom. Freedom is what my life is all about.

No comments: