Monday, September 3, 2007

Do people who believe in God get depressed more or less

It's a holiday so time for some pseudo frivolity. At the very least, my version of what's amusing and my sense of humor, such as it is. I'd be one hell of a radio talk show host.

So I heard on TV today that parents teach their kids all kinds of things that aren't true and have them believe in all kinds of things that aren't true.

They tell you wonderful things about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, Elves, 4 leaf clovers and, gasp, God and other assorted foolishness. They actually make you believe that they believe.

Furthermore Christmas and the Easter Bunny are PAGAN symbols from way, way back in the day. Sorry if I offend any Christians. Well, no, I'm not. If you don't know enough about your religion to know these things aren't you a lot like the children you teach about Santa, Easter Bunny, etc.

Now how much do you think your kid is going to trust what you say after they discover that you have lied about every, and I mean every, belief that was important to them. Do you remember how absolutely crushed your kids were when they found out the truth?

So now they have no Santa, no Easter Bunny, no tooth fairy, etc. BTW, when they figure out one doesn't exist the soon figure out you lied about the others too. Lol, how to win friends and get your kids to trust you. Lie to them from the day they are born.

So if none of the things you have taught them to believe in really exist how can they believe that God exists either? Heh, God should be the least believable because it's put across with the least conviction.

Hmmm, I guess this means if you are a Christian you are better about lying to your kids about fantasies than you are telling the truth about what you believe to be real. Still, it does make me wonder why kids still believe.

What do I believe in? ME. Just me and a thing called cosmic consciousness as put forth by the Rosicrucian's a few thousand years ago and sold as 'The Secret' now days. It's even talked about in the Bible. No, I don't believe in a God.

Ready for a laugh? I am an ordained minister. Oh, sorry, you probably don't see the humor in it. Lol, you wouldn't understand why I started one of my corporations on April 1, either. Whatever.

Do I absolutely believe in the rule of my church. Certainly do, it's why I joined. The major thing is 'Do the right thing'. I believe in that anyway so why not. That's the absolute truth too. What I found amusing on their website(ULC) was the fact that under the 'Do the right thing' was a legal disclaimer about how you shouldn't do anything illegal.

See what happens when lawyers get involved. Things go from simple to very complicated. It's also why we are denied one of our rights granted by the constitution. If you really want to know look up the history of 'jury nullification'. However that's a total different rant.

Anyway, everyone pretty much knows what the right thing is. Of course, unless you are a sociopath, you do, along with a few other rare exceptions, like insane. Now how could illegal and right not be the same thing. Uh. Duh. Was it legal to hide Jewish people from the Nazi's? Just because something is a law doesn't make it right. Sheesh. That should just flat out go without expectation.

So the legal disclaimer at the bottom of the page. BTW, I'm not advocating that you break any laws. Lol, just because I violate a few for the betterment of some doesn't mean you should run right out and do it. Breaking the law will get you in trouble, no matter what the reason.

Lol, that's why we have laws. Just ask any woman who has an order of protection out against a ex, or soon to be ex, who beat and battered her. Our laws work just fine at all times. So remember, don't break the law, just do the right thing.

Now I haven't bothered to look up the question I had at the top because I don't really care about the answer. I suspect they get depressed less often than people who are agnostic or atheist. Agnostics and atheists have no one to blame for their problems but themselves. Thats a bummer for them but in almost all religions you get to blame your God for all of your problems.

Heh, I read somewhere that if religion didn't exist man would create it just to have someone else to blame. ROTF, just ask L Ron Hubbard.

The Christian version of the bible say God is part of all of us and if that's true then why is there so much disrespect of other people religious choices. All of those people have the same God in them, don't they?

If you are a religious person and believe in the bible I guess my question is how can you believe in a God you disrespect so much? If you truly believe your religion you would always do the right thing and religion wouldn't even come into it. Nor race, nor region nor any freaking thing at all.

So many, way to many of you, lack tolerance of those who don't believe the same things you do or come from the same place you do. Yet you believe the bible to be the truth yet you can not tolerate your god being in anyone who doesn't believe as you do. Yes, I find this hilarious. It's about as funny as Santa and the Easter Bunny.

So it wasn't funny. Was kinda depressing tho.

Yes, you are the one who teaches your children.

Perhaps you should be more careful with what you teach them.

Try doing the 'right thing' once in your life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I feel a long comment coming on.

As a devout Christian, I disagree with you. Also, I agree with you.

First, the agreement. Easter and Christmas do have pagan elements to them--rabbits, Christmas trees, and mistletoe. In fact, the word "Easter" is derived (probably)from the name "Estre," the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring. Why did the Christians incorporate pagan elements into their holy days? Easier to sell them to the other side that way, of course. Do I have a Christmas tree, even though it's a pagan symbol? Heck yeah--it's pretty and it smells good.

More important agreement: Doing the right thing is essential. Take care of the poor, sick, weak and defenseless. Watch your mouth. Don't steal. Don't kill. Don't let your temper get the better of you. Love other people, help them whenever you can. Whether or not you believe in Jesus, or Allah, or Buddha, or whoever, these things are universal good ideas. If you follow them, you will make the world a better place.

Now, the disagreement: I honestly, truly believe in the Jesus of the New Testament, as implausible as that whole story may be to a thinking person (which I also am). And if you've read the New Testament, you know that Jesus spent a lot of time sticking it to the bigwigs of organized religion, essentially for valuing form over substance. To wit: looking the right way, instead of doing the right thing.

IMDepressed said...

Lol, more like co-opt the other side. It was a good strategy because it worked but most people don't know that. Sheesh, there's a ton of paganism in Christianity.

I also know that the new testament wasn't compiled until around 400 AD and it was a committee effort. You know what that means. I forget the old joke. An elephant is really a mouse designed by a committee or something like that.

Anyway, IMO, parts were left out that probably shoud have been included.

It's to bad that oganized religion hasn't realized what you have. You hit my biggest problem with religion. Form over substance.

I guess another way to put it is words versus actions. Words are more likely to lie than actions are.

It's an interesting subject anyway.