Friday, June 15, 2007

My paper route and other jobs in Fairmont

I hated my paper route. I always wanted one where I could drive but for some reason they don't hand out licenses to kids who can't see over the steering wheel.

People were always pissed off at me on the last half of my route because when I delivered the paper to the bowling alley I'd always play the pinball machines. I'd get so wrapped up in it I'd forget the time. It was a nickle a day because I was good enough to win free games and could play forever. Lol, I used to sell my games to other kids 3 for a dime. I guess I've always been an entrepreneur at heart.

Fact is I really hate to work for other people. Always have and always will. You bust your ass for someone else and get paid a bit but the boss takes the big money home, not you or me. I've had 3 successful off net businesses and one on the net. Problem is if I maintain focus long enough to be successful I get bored and need a new challenge.

I also learned to bowl in Fairmont. It got so bad that if customers called my house to complain about the paper being late my stepfather would come to the bowling alley and get me. We'd throw my bike in the trunk and he'd drive me on the rest of the route. then we'd stop at a bar and he'd have a couple of beers and go home.

I suspect that's the only reason he didn't beat me for not finishing my route on time was the fact he'd get away from my mother and have a few beers. Naturally I kept it a secret. Lol, why wouldn't I? That little ploy worked well for a very long time.

I also worked at the refreshment stand where they cut the hook out of my ear. I'd get paid a dollar for working four or five hours per day a couple of days a week in the summer time. I also managed to steal 50 cents a day when I worked there. Never got caught at that one either.

It was an interesting job and the adults treated me nicely. To bad I wasn't interested in girls yet or it would have been the perfect summer job. The way it was I used the money I made there to finance my new addiction to bowling.

By the time I was 17 I had a 191 average in one adult league and a 189 in the other. As I got older I made more than a few bucks hustling both pool and bowling. I got much better at pool when we moved to a different town but that's a few years in the future.

I also washed dishes at the restaurant across the street from where we lived. Some relative of Murphys managed it and would call me to come over and help with dishes when they got extra busy. Another job I hated. Hot, wet and never ending. It was there I discovered what pigs people really were.

I also shoveled snow and mowed way more than my share of grass. I always had money and other kids were jealous. Between the jobs, stealing from others and from Murphy and my mother I had enough to buy cigarettes, beer and pretty much whatever else I needed. Even got a fly rod eventually and other fishing equip.

So I was depressed because I couldn't see my grandmother or my father, I was still getting beaten but in my world these were normal things so the money made life good. At least as good as it could be under the circumstances.

No comments: