Monday, June 25, 2007

Facts, reality and getting over depression

I wrote a post on a forum about the difference between facts, reality and truth.

Yes, I know, you thought they were all the same. Well, they aren't. That's part of what makes life so complicated. Facts are always true but reality and truth are very different and very changeable.

The fact and the truth is that in my reality I am very depressed. The fact and truth is that in my reality I am in a lot of pain. Both physical and mental.

Yet when other people look at me they see absolutely nothing wrong with me. I appear to smile a lot, I'm not unpleasant to them, I can walk and talk just fine.

What they see is not the truth but what I allow them to see. Letting them see anything else would be weakness, to me. If you appear weak you are much more likely to have people try to take advantage of or victimize you.

In their reality their truth is that I am in good shape, in my reality the truth is I'm not. Two truths but exact opposites.

Funny thing is we could all take lie detector tests and they would show that others are telling the truth yet mine would also show that I am telling the truth.

Reality and truth are malleable or changeable but facts are not.

What is a fact in my reality has to be a fact in your reality or it's not truly a fact. If it's raining and we are standing side by side it's a fact that it's raining. If the temperature is 70 degrees that's a fact in both of our realities.

Here's another fact. With me what you see is what you get but what I allow you to see is only the tip of the iceberg. If you get to know me very well you will discover that what you thought you knew was entirely wrong.

Aren't perceptions fun? What you perceive is your truth but what you perceive isn't always true. That's why writing this blog about my life is so depressing. However it's not why I'm depressed.

Hopefully someone reading this will make a change in the way they treat their kids, someone will change something in their life to make it better, someone will realize that no matter what happened to you it's possible to overcome it.

If not then it's still not a waste of my time because it's helping me to get better and to be better. It's also a map of how not to raise a child.

No comments: