Saturday, April 28, 2007

A great day today and I feel really good.

I talked with T this morning and she brought the baby out because I hadn't seen her for a few days. Baby T is now 16 months and can almost say my name. It's so cool.

T was in back and I was watching the baby when her husband K came in. He played with baby for a minute and then asked me to watch her as he had to go back to work. Then her mom asked me a bit later if I'd mind keeping her busy while she got her bookkeeping done.

Now this is harder than it sounds because baby T is very spoiled and has quite the temper and tends to scream and cry a lot when she doesn't get her way. I spoil her too so it's not like it's something I didn't know. Her mom and I have discussed it and we both agreed it was getting out of hand and I've only known her for 5-6 weeks and she's worse.

When baby T gets mad at me she goes and stands by the door to the private quarters and stands there and screams. Usually her mom will come and let her in but she knows it's not a good thing because the baby just gets mom to pick her up so she'll be quiet. When she gets mad at mom she'll do the same thing to me.

I'm watching her and moms working and baby T decides she wants to throw dry cheerios all over so I took them away and naturally she had a fit. Mom didn't come to her aid and I let her scream and cry for a bit before I went and got her. She came back and sat by me and we talked for a bit. I have no clue what she was saying but I understood the tone. Every guy understands that tone in a female. She was letting me know she wasn't happy.

Then she decided she wanted to go outside. I picked her up so she could see better but she kept making a motion with her hand that means she wants something. She might not be able to make me understand her words yet but she does make me understand somethings. Her mom was back behind the counter so I told her baby and I were going out to see what her dad was doing.

I put her on my shoulders and she started giggling and off we went to explore the outside world together. She loved it and we went and found dad and he held he for a minute and then back on my shoulders. We walked around the whole area like that and everyone talked to her and she would babble back. She loved it and I thought it was the greatest thing. Then she got heavy so we went back inside. We'd been out for about 30 minutes.

She had a tantrum when I put her down inside and kept trying to force the door open. It was funny because she was really mad and frustrated because she couldn't get out. I tryed to distract her with toys and she threw them all on the floor. Finally got her to sit on the couch quietly and then she wanted the toys and wanted me to get them. I wouldn't so she had another bout. I laughed at her and told her I dealt with a woman 6 foot tall who threw tantrums too so she wasn't impressing me at 30 inches or so of fury.

When she got quiet again I put her back on my shoulders and we went back out for another walk. This time she got to say where she wanted to go and would indicate it to me with her hand motion. So we went and she was perfectly content, sitting on my shoulders quietly talking and ooing amd ahing over everything.

She'd indicate she wanted to go see someone and I'd walk over and she'd talk at them for a minute and then indicate she wanted to go somewhere else. She was fascinated by the butterflies and we followed them for a bit. Then she saw a pine cone so I stooped and picked it up and gave it to her. She examined it for a few minutes and was telling me about it. Then she dropped it and I had to pick it up. Not easy for me with her on my shoulders and it happened twice more so I got tired and we went back in.

Mom was working but about done so I sat her on the counter and she was playing with some paper and a pencil when she decided she wanted to play with the calculator mom was using and I wouldn't let her. She got mad and threw everything on the floor and I just let her get mad. She got over it and indicated she wanted the paper and pen from the floor so I put her down to get it. Oops, another fit.

She then went over by the door and started screaming and crying and m0m and I were laughing. After we had both ignored her she soon quit and came over and wrapped her little arms around me and held on. Naturally I melted and picked her up. Then she wanted the stuff on the floor again so we went thru an instant replay.

When she came back and hugged me again I told her we had to pick up her toys and I helped her with it then picked her back up and put her on the counter. Mom got her work done and as baby T was tired decided to give her some juice and put her down for a nap. I left feeling better than I have in a long time.

The sense of wonder she has and the fascination she has with everything new is just great. I really enjoy watching her learn new things and get excited over new things. It's really cool because everything is new. Her little tantrums are so funny and predictable. She definitely has a mind of her own. She's just the coolest little girl I've ever been around.

I have the feeling that baby T is going to make me regret that I never had children. I suppose I could still have a child but that kinda means that I have to be in a relationship first and I'm not nor is there anyone I'm interested in. I have the feeling that I missed out on a lot but it was my choice not to have a child.

My childhood made me not want to have kids. It took this long for me to get over it and decide I could handle it. It's not to late but it's getting there. I can't say that 60 is really a great time to think about having kids. Lol, of course my mind doesn't think it's 60 but my body knows it is.

Spending that quality time with baby T today made me feel really great and I think we'll go for a walk again tomorrow. I sure didn't have time to feel depressed playing with and being responsible for her. Best day for me this year.

No comments: