Sunday, December 2, 2007

A thief to catch more thieves

Yep, I was a thief and a pretty damned good one if I do say so myself. Not romanticizing either, just stating a fact.

I said in the last post that something surprising happened after I got busted for the penny caper as I've come to call it. Lol, life's an adventure and parts of it or the story just need names. Lol, we aren't going to get to 'The adventure with the one legged woman' for a long time tho.

One day I was in my room minding my own business and my step father came and told me someone wanted to talk to me. So I went out and much to my surprise it was the owner of the bowling alley. The one with the really hot daughter that I fantasized about almost continually.

Oh, yeah, the same bowling alley I'd been busted spending the pennies in. I had no clue what he wanted so I sat and waited for him to say something. He was a really nice guy and hadn't bitched at me at all, just been the usual polite in the halls and stuff. Of course I was banned from the bowling alley. Duh.

Finally he started talking and asking me a bunch of seemingly stupid questions, at least to me. He must have liked the answers because after a bit he finally got to the point. He offered me a job and was willing to have his head guy teach me everything there was to know about fixing AMF bowling machines and bowling.

However that really wasn't what he wanted. That was a fringe benefit for me. What he really wanted was for me to put an end to all the things other kids were doing in their. Did I forget, he was in his late 50's and kids were much different, slicker and craftier than he'd ever thought.

IOW he was hiring me, the thief, to stop other kids from stealing and damaging things. So I took the job. I even got to work with his hot daughter a lot of times. Sheesh, just thinking of and remembering her is a turn on.

I worked their quite awhile and after the first 6 months I was the night foreman. During league bowling. I was also in charge of 3 college kids who did the grunt work. I probably wasn't old enough for the responsibility but the head mechanics wife ran the place at night so I didn't really have to do anything but my job. If I had any problems with the college boys or the other kids all I had to do was tell her and she'd take care of it.

All the while I worked there I never stole a thing, nor did I knowingly let anyone else steal anything not cause any problems. It made a lot of the kids not like me but I didn't care. I'd given the man my word I'd be loyal to him for as long as I worked there, so I was.

I even became a decent bowler with an average of 190 most of the time and in most leagues I was in. Lol, yes, I hustled bowling now and then, too. How could I not, it was easy money.

Another guy and I used to travel to the different small towns around and enter their bowling tournaments. We usually placed in the money and made enough to finance our next tournament. I never did hit it big or win first place tho. Don came in second one and made 500 bucks but that only happened once.

It wasn't the last time I'd be employed to catch someone or watch over things and be sure that nothing went wrong. Setting a thief to catch a thief works as long as you can trust the thief you set. I was absolutely loyal to anyone who trusted me that much, at least while I was working for them.

No comments: