Sunday, April 22, 2007

I was accused of murdering my grandmother.

My uncle and his daughter, my cousin, both accused me of killing my grandmother.

I suppose I should start at the beginning. This is the same grandmother that showed me unconditional love and I would never harm her but I was accused of killing her.

You'll find this hard to believe but my grandmother never saw a doctor in her life until the last months before the end of her life. She had 4 children at home, was hardly ever very sick and just never had to go to the doctor for anything.

She developed what to her was a very embarrassing problem involving her vagina and she had to have surgery. I do believe the doctor who examined her was the only other person to ever see her completely naked other than my grandfather.

When she was discharged from the hospital she was still in terrible pain and was mortified just by the doctor and the hospital. My father tried to take care of her but she kept begging him to hit her in the head with a hammer and put her out of her misery. BTW, her medical problem was not life threatening in any way.

My father would call me and cry because she wanted him to kill her. Actually I was supposed to be the one to do it but I couldn't do it because I didn't want to go to jail for life for putting her out of her misery. She absolutely didn't want to go to the nursing home and had said many times she'd rather die than go there.

My father would call 5-10 times per day and cry about what she wanted and I finally told him if he couldn't handle it anymore call the ambulance and have her taken to the nursing home. He said he couldn't do that as she'd hate him so I told him to tell her I ordered it and to blame it all on me if he couldn't handle that either.

Then I went and got really and truly drunk for the first time in a long time. I had just betrayed her trust and I felt guilty as hell about it.

When I drove down from Mpls to see her, the first time I went to the nursing home she took one look at me, never said a word, and turned over and faced the wall and wouldn't talk to me or look at me. When I left he room she turned back over and talked to my dad and my wife. She never spoke another word to me for the rest of her life.

One of the last times I was there the nurses stopped my dad and me as we were leaving and wanted to know if we wanted her force fed or tube fed as she was refusing to eat and in fact had been refusing since she was taken to the nursing home.

My dad said yes and I said no. Just get her some of her favorite candy and put it on her bedside table along with some root beer, orange pop and seven up. If she wouldn't eat that or drink that then she had made her choice. So that's what they did.

She still wouldn't eat and still wouldn't acknowledge me in any way at all. The last weekend I was there and visited her and then we left Sunday night for the drive home. Monday morning my dad called at work and told me they didn't expect her to live thru the night so I needed to come back right away.

My uncle, the asshole who molested me first and most, and his daughter both begged me to have her fed with a tube. When I said no, they both started yelling at me about killing her on purpose and that was murder and that I was a murderer for not saying yes and saving her life.

I knew I was doing what she wanted when I refused to let them tube feed her. Her choice was obvious when she wouldn't even touch her favorite candy and I wasn't going to disappoint her again. Heh, until the day the asshole died he still called me a murderer but not to my face. His daughter finally came to understand it was my grandmothers choice. My dad never said a word about it to me.

Yes, I let her die and I have absolutely no regrets over that. I'd do it over again. Well, not really, I'd probably go get a prescription for her and leave it on her table at the house so if she wanted to take them she could and if she didn't she wouldn't. I do regret putting her in the nursing home tho because I betrayed her trust when I did that.

So how could I be a murderer and kill my grandmother. Simple, I followed her wishes and let her die and no one could stop it. because I had the one thing she didn't trust any of her children or grandchildren with. I had power of attorney for all of her affairs including medical.

No comments: