Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Have you ever played a game of chicken?

Chicken was a game usually played with cars. We seperate by about a half mile and then head towards each other as fast as we could get our cars to go. Whoever swerved lost. What kids call it nowdays I have no clue but it was chicken back then.

I've played with cars, pickups, 4 wheelers, snowmobiles and motorcycles. It used to be one of the biggest adrenaline rushes I could get. I never lost and after a few times no one would even challenge me anymore. Fringe benefit of not caring whether you live or die I guess.

Yes, I've even played russian roulette a couple of times. Dumb? Certainly! Lol, I guess you could say that's what I'm doing when I intentionally drive thru the worst areas of the 'hood' in Milwaukee.

If you've never experienced a moment in your life where the next decision or action you make could result in sudden death you have no clue what I'm talking about. It's a tremendous rush to put yourself in a certain death situation and then to escape it with luck skill or brains.

People are afraid to bungee jump and I find it boring at this point. I've ridden every thrill ride invented or at least most of them and find them boring. Roller coasters aren't even a thrill because they are engineered to be so damn safe I have no fear of them at all.

I've never tried skydiving but I'm going to this late spring. If I can't get an adrenaline rush there I guess I'll quit looking for one. I'm pretty sure if the chute doesn't open I'll get one at least until I hit the ground. ;)

In the middle of something that causes a huge adrenaline rush you definitely aren't depressed. There was no bigger rush for a long time than being shot at and missed. That's another one people won't get unless it's happened to them.

Yes, I was dumb to do all that stuff. Yes I'm still dumb for doing some of the things I do. No I don't recommend doing any of these things to anyone else. All are examples of what depression can drive you to and that's all. Now I'm old, bored and depressed. Been there, done that and not much to look forward to and not much interest in being alive just for the sake of being alive.

No comments: